Finsbury Park terror attack

One man has died and several more are injured in another a third terror attack in Finsbury Park, London. The terrorist, a white male, drove a van into Muslims coming out of Tarawih prayers in Finsbury Park Mosque.

Counter terror police are investigating the incident in Finsbury Park, where eight people have been taken to hospital and two more were treated at the scene.

“The driver of the van – a man aged 48 – was found detained by members of public at the scene and then arrested by police in connection with the incident,” a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said.

“He has been taken to hospital as a precaution, and will be taken into custody once discharged.

“He will also be subject of a mental health assessment in due course”.

Scotland Yard said armed police were at the scene, with the investigation being carried out by Counter Terrorism Command.

Extra officers were deployed to reassure Muslims during Ramadan.

Witnesses said the vehicle veered off the road into worshippers leaving Tarawih prayers in Finsbury Park shortly after midnight.

“From the window, I started hearing a lot of yelling and screeching, a lot of chaos outside,” a woman who lives opposite the scene said.

“Everybody was shouting: ‘A van’s hit people, a van’s hit people’.

“There was this white van stopped outside Finsbury Park mosque that seemed to have hit people who were coming out after prayers had finished”.

Passers-by said a crowd had gathered to help an elderly man who collapsed on the pavement. He was already undergoing CPR when the vehicle approached.

Witnesses described how members of the public managed to restrain the driver after he left the van. It was later confirmed that the Imam of the mosque even protected the terrorist from the angry people until the police arrived.

The third terror incident in London this year alone

The Prime Minister described the attack as a “terrible incident”. All my thoughts are with those who have been injured, their loved ones and the emergency services on the scene”.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said he had been in touch with local mosques, police and the council following the incident. The attack took place in his constituency and near his home.

“My thoughts are with those and the community affected by this awful event,” Mr Corbyn added.

It came weeks after three Isis supporters rammed a van into pedestrians on London Bridge. They also went to Borough Market with knives, killing eight people before being shot dead by police.

It was the third major incident less than a month for London’s emergency services. Prior to this was the London Bridge attack and Grenfell Tower disaster, which killed at least 58 people.

TNT News

Photo Credit: New China TV

Related News