It’s all about being SMART
Well it’s 2015 and like many people you have probably made and broken yet another New Year’s resolution. You know, the same resolution you made last year and probably the year before.
Let me guess, did you plan to lose weight, quit smoking, do more exercise, stop drinking, get a better job, find a partner maybe?
You are not alone. Statistics show that even though millions of us make New Year’s resolutions, only 8 per cent of us will stick with them.
You see, New Year’s resolutions are like dreams and ‘a dream without a plan is just a wish’. That’s why it is important to set goals. Not just any goals, but SMART goals.
Setting SMART goals are an important aspect of our lives. We can use them in our personal and professional lives.
So, there are five easy steps to setting SMART goals.
- Specific: Make your goal focused and defined. You will stand a better chance if you are clear about what you want to accomplish.
- Measurable: What criteria will you use to measure your progress and staying on track? It is wise to keep a journal or a log of any progress made.
- Achievable: Set a goal you know you can achieve. Ask yourself, are you prepared and motivated enough to commit fully to the challenge.
- Realistic: Always set goals that you have a realistic chance of achieving and make it relevant to your life.
- Timed: All SMART goals are time bound and have strict deadlines. You should not allow then to continue forever.
Turn you resolution into a SMART goal and you can begin to achieve the success you deserve in 2015. Stay focused.