Hulme Asda evacuated as workers hospitalised after gas leak

Two McDonald’s workers were rushed to hospital following a gas leak which also led to the Asda supermarket in Hulme being evacuated.

Shoppers and staff at the supermarket in Manchester were seen “coughing and choking” as ambulance and fires crews arrived at the scene on 27 October.

One employee was taken to hospital straight away while others were checked over by paramedics at the scene, an eyewitness told local media reporters.

Hulme councillor Lee-Ann Igbon was at the store at the time.

She posted pictures of the evacuation on Twitter and wrote: “We have been evacuated at Asda Hulme.”

Another tweeter, Rhyzz, wrote: “Seconds after we paid, everyone just got booted out of asda hulme mid shop cos of a fire or something. Absolutely howling.”

People were seen ‘coughing and choking’ in the store.

A spokesperson for McDonald’s said: “We can confirm that our Hulme restaurant was evacuated at around 12.30pm due to a suspected gas leak.

“Emergency services were called to investigate and two people were advised to attend hospital as a precautionary measure.

“The emergency services have confirmed that the restaurant can reopen but it currently remains closed while technicians look to reset the alarms.”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed three engines attended and dealt with “a gas leak from some cylinders in a non-public area of the store”.

Firefighters removed the cylinders and the supermarket reopened at around 1.45pm.

TNT News

Photo Credit: Google Maps

Related News

Copyrıght 2015 THE NUBIAN TIMES. All RIGHTS RESERVED.