Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport, the third busiest in Europe, was struck by a triple terrorist bombing on Tuesday 28 June. The attack has left 41 people dead and nearly 239 people injured, and is suspected to be at the hands of the so-called Islamic State.
The three suicide bombers were stopped by Turkish security officials when trying to pass through the X-ray machines of the high security location. The three men then began shooting AK-47 rifles at around 10pm in the arrival hall of the Main International Airport.
Security officials returned fire and one officer attempted to wrestle one of the terrorists to the ground. The suspect proceeded to detonate his explosive vest, which was coordinated with the two other suicide bombers.
Mobile phone footage showed terrified children and parents crouched among wreckage on the floor as screams were heard in the background. CCTV also captured the moment the explosion took place, showing a bright flash of light followed by smoke and debris.
Binali Yildirim, the Turkish Prime Minister has said it appeared to have been an attack by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) militants.
In a written statement, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said “It is clear that this attack is not aimed at achieving any result but only to create propaganda material against our country using simply the blood and pain of innocent people”.
Hundreds have been killed in the last year in Turkey by a spate of terror attacks linked to the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and Kurdish militant groups, PKK and TAK. These attacks included two suicide attacks in tourist areas and two car bombings in the country’s capital, Ankara.
David Cameron has described the terrorist attack as “hideous” and has said the UK would continue to work with the other countries after Brexit on “keeping our countries safe, keeping our people safe”.
Photo Credit: Atbtr