A man has died after taking a lethal batch of MDMA, named locally as ‘pink champagne’ or ‘magic’.
The 26-year-old from Rochdale was admitted to hospital on Saturday 24 June but sadly later died.
Over the weekend, 10 others were taken into hospital in connection with taking the drug. Four remain in critical condition.
Police are urging people not to take the highly potent form of MDMA due to the lethal consequences.
The drug, believed to be in a crystal form, is causing concern amongst medical professionals.
Symptoms of taking the drug include rigid muscles, foaming at mouth, fast racing pulse and seizures.
Police are strongly advising that if you believe somebody has taken the drug, you should get them to a hospital immediately.
Chief Superintendent Neil Evans, Territorial Commander for Oldham, Rochdale and Tameside, said: “Sadly a man has now died as a result of taking what we believe is an MDMA based drug.
“His death comes as four others are in a critical condition after a total number of 11 were hospitalised over the weekend.
“This is incredibly worrying and, with our colleagues from the NHS, we are doing all that we can to warn people against taking the drug.
“We are appealing for anyone with any information about where this drug is coming from to get in touch.”
A 26-year-old male had been arrested on suspicion of supplying Class A drugs but has since been released under investigation.
Anybody with information should contact police on 0161 856 9063 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.