Man jailed for concealing his partner’s body for over a year

A man has been jailed after hiding his partner’s body in a house for more than a year.

Andrew Reade, 44, of Toronto Street, Bolton was jailed at Bolton Crown Court for four years and four months. Reade pleaded guilty to preventing the burial of a body and perverting the course of justice at an earlier hearing.

In January 2017, officers launched a murder investigation after 44-year-old Vicky Cherry had not been seen for more than a year.

Her family had become concerned when they had uncharacteristically stopped hearing from her.

Reade had told people that he and Vicky had split up and she had moved to Blackburn.

However, enquiries revealed that her employment support allowance was still being withdrawn in the Bolton area. This was after the time that Reade claimed she had moved away.

This and other inconsistencies led officers to launch the murder investigation and subsequently execute a warrant at Reade’s house.

He was arrested on suspicion of her murder and, during a search of the house, officers sadly discovered Vicky’s body. Further enquiries established the body had been concealed in the house for more than a year.

When interviewed by police, Reade denied murder but admitted he hid Vicky’s body after she died. Reade also admitted he had lied to her family and police about her whereabouts. He also admitted to taking her benefits for several months after her death.

Body decomposed beyond recognition

A Home Office Post Mortem concluded Victoria’s cause of death was unconfirmed. The decomposition of her body hampered the conclusions around the injuries she sustained.

Speaking after the sentencing, Vicky’s family said: “We as a family are heartbroken. No matter what sentence Reade would have been given it will never bring Vicky back.

“He stopped us for 18 months being able to have her funeral from the day she died.

“No one was able to say goodbye to her properly as we couldn’t view her body and had to say goodbye to a coffin because she decomposed so much. They couldn’t even give us a lock of hair.

“Despite the sentence today we will never get over this and will live with this heartache for the rest of our lives.

“We would also like to thank Greater Manchester Police for their thorough and hard work throughout the investigation”.

Detective Chief Inspector Terry Crompton of GMP’s Major Incident Team released a statement. He said that Vicky’s family had lost more than a daughter.

“They have been put through a tremendous amount of heartache. My only hope is that today closes that chapter in their lives”.

Mr Crompon hopes they can move forward “while remembering the happy memories they created when Vicky was alive”.

TNT News

Related News