Major works designed to reduce congestion on the ring road around Manchester and Salford city centres will finish at least a month earlier than originally anticipated.
The Manchester-Salford Inner Relief Route scheme once completed will improve capacity at six key junctions by up to 20 per cent – significantly reducing congestion and improving air quality.
The improvement works are being carried out jointly by Manchester City Council and Salford City Council. The scheme has been agreed by Greater Manchester Combined Authority as one of its priorities for reducing congestion and is funded through the government’s Local Growth Fund.
The works were scheduled to last a year but collaborative work with contractors Dawnus to re-phase some elements and good progress so far means that is on track to finish sooner.
Other options which might reduce the length of time the roadworks will be taking place, such as increased Saturday working, are also being actively explored to complete the works as quickly and safely as possible.
Sir Richard Leese, Leader of Manchester City Council said: “These works are taking place to reduce congestion in the long term but unfortunately it’s impossible to carry them out without it involving some degree of disruption in the shorter term.
“While many people have been able to avoid or reduce the impacts by adapting their routes or journey times, we recognise that not everyone is able to do so and we do understand the inconvenience and frustration they are experiencing.
“That’s why we are working closely with contractors to see what can realistically be done to reduce the duration of the works.”
City Mayor of Salford Paul Dennett said: “The joint scheme will ease congestion on one of the city centre’s busiest routes, to increase capacity by up to 20 per cent benefiting road users across Greater Manchester.”