A 16-year-old girl has died in her sleep after drinking Frosty Jacks Cider.
Megan Craig-Wilkinson, from North Tyneside, was found by her mother the morning after a New Years Eve party in 2013. The night before, she had consuming the 7.5% cider with friends.
After coming home from the party feeling sick, she was placed in the recovery position by her mother.
The teen died of pulmonary aspiration, whereby her lungs filled with the contents of her stomach. This is commonly known as ‘dry drowning’.
Her mother, Joanne Good, is now campaigning to with MPs with the hope to inspire a change to the law. Good hopes that retailers will no longer be able to sell alcohol at ‘pocket money prices’.
A 3 litre bottle of Frosty Jacks, which costs around £3.50, contains the equivalent of 22 shots of vodka. Despite such a high alcohol level, one unit costs approximately less than 16p.
Charity researcher Thames Reach suggested Frosty Jacks should be taken off the shelves until its alcohol content is reduced. Its 2015 survey concluded that super strength ciders are problem drinks. Thames Reach found strong, cheap drinks were frequently responsible for early deaths, poor health and anti social behaviour”.
Campaigning against the sale of these drinks deemed as ‘dangerous’, Megan’s mother has said: “I am doing this for Megan. I want to make a difference for her.
“If hearing about my experience can save just one life, then it is worth it.
“I hope that people will read this or hear her story and think ‘what about that girl?’ when they see this drink on sale in the shops”.
The Alcohol Health Alliance similarly condemned the sale of high percentage alcohol at ‘pocket money prices’. The study found the hourly minimum way for under 18-year-olds is £3.87.
With items, such as Frosty Jacks being sold for around £3.50, an hour work could pay for nearly 22.5 units of alcohol.