Bat, crackle, shock.
A Scottish teenager has been left horrified after allegedly finding a dead bat in her box of Rice Krispies.
Sehr Rafique, 17, noticed the small animal when she was pouring her morning cereal at her home in Glasgow. “I am scared of spiders as it is, so this terrified me. I have never seen a bat up close, never mind one which I almost ate,” she said.
Unsurprisingly, finding the decomposing animal in her box of cereal has turned her stomach for the foreseeable future. “All our family eat cereal for breakfast, but I have been unable to do so after finding the bat,” she added.
“The bat was definitely dead but it has put me off eating Kellogg’s ever again”, she said.
Rafique says her father reached out to Kellogg’s and was offered nothing more than vouchers for more cereal. The company also requested that he return the bat so they could investigate how it got there in the first place and ensure it would never happen again.
Kellogg’s told the Record: “Kellogg’s adheres to very strict food safety rules that ensure our products are of the highest quality.
“We are taking this complaint seriously and have been in constant contact with Ms. Rafique”.
The 17 year-old, who is due to start university next year, has since stated “It’s a bit of an insult to be offered another box of cereal. Bats can carry all sorts of diseases. It’s not the sort of thing you expect to find in food”.
This is not the first time this year that Rice Krispies have made the news for unpleasant reasons. In March, a video surfaced online showing a man urinating onto a line of products inside a Tennessee Kellogg’s factory.
A company spokesperson later explained that the video was filmed back in 2014, in the middle of a labour dispute.