Social media plays an important role in our everyday lives. Statistics have revealed that over 1.2 billion people use Facebook. A further 271 million people use Twitter and 300 million use LinkedIn. That’s why here at TNT Media, we use every platform to reach as many people as we can.
With such huge figures using social media, it only seems logical for businesses to use social media as a method for online marketing, it’s not hard to see why as there are countless reasons why marketers are now embracing social media. Whether this is to reach customers across multiple touch points, engaging in conversation with customers or simply reaching the expectations of the modern consumer, more and more businesses are getting social media-savvy.
The role of social media in today’s business
- 96% of businesses are using social media to market themselves
- 91% of marketers indicated their social media efforts increased exposure for their businesses.
- 81% found increased traffic occurred with as little as 6 hours per week invested in social media marketing.
- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram are the the top 7 platforms used by marketers.
The benefits for businesses who embrace social media
- 46% of online users counting on social media when making a purchase decision.
- 50% of shoppers making a purchase based on recommendations made through social media.
- 71% of social media users more likely to buy from a business that they’re already connected with.
Sharing content that is helpful, informative and entertaining will add value to existing followers. This could be in the form of ‘how to’ articles, videos, podcasts, market reports and reviews. Doing so may help your business reach the optimum number of people.
Social media also serves as a place for customer support and a way in which businesses can amend any faults for the consumer. With approximately 10% of businesses not taking any action to respond to negative social media posts, its still an area that needs vast improvements.